[aur-general] Proposal to move sage-mathematics into [community].

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Fri Aug 13 21:46:57 EDT 2010

> I didn't modularize this package because upstream doesn't intend to
> modularize it, and because of the amount of work that would require, not
> only to split everything off, but to make sure nothing breaks at the same
> time.
> Case in point, http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo
>
> I would like to start discussing its inclusion now.

Considering Sage's popularity, both on the AUR (160 votes for the
source version, 130 votes for the binary version) and in general, along
with how long it takes to compile, I definitely think this should be
included in [community].

I fully agree with the sentiments regarding duplication of packages,
but that is an upstream issue and unavoidable without a very
heavy-hands-on approach to the package, as already mentioned. The
package itself though is more than just a mesh of its components and
thus provides a real utility despite the underlying duplication.

In the absence of an upstream willingness to modularize the components,
the next best approach would be to have the package "provide" as many
of its components as possible (if any) to enable users to avoid
redundant packages on their own system. This would offset the cost of
the duplication and reduce user-mirror bandwidth and user diskspace. The
cost of the extra bits on the mirrors themselves is unfortunate but far
from critical.

I would also support tweaking the PKGBUILD or applying relatively
simple patches if it would expose more of the components to the system
in such a way that they could be counted as "provides"

So +1 for its inclusion from me.

Regards,
Xyne