[aur-general] aur-general Digest, Vol 70, Issue 13

Stijn Segers gotleenucks at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 07:26:17 EDT 2010

> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 20:36:17 +0300
> From: Ionu? B?ru <ibiru at archlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [aur-general] TUs adopting packages from the AUR
> To: "Discussion about the Arch User Repository (AUR)"
> 	<aur-general at archlinux.org>
>
> On 08/14/2010 08:22 PM, Xyne wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 14:43:37 +0300
> > Ionu? B?ru wrote:

> >> yes. this is how we handle it. eventually we have to do that since you
> >> or any other contributors can't commit to community and we want all our
> >> users to easy access their favorite applications.
> >>

> > Is that really how we're supposed to handle it?
> >
> > In my opinion, a TU should contact the current maintainer in advance to
> > discuss moving a package to [community]. Simply taking the package is
> > indeed impolite, regardless of the number of votes.
> >

> if you read his email, you'll see that an email was sent.
>
> if the current maintainer doesn't want to be moved, you think that is a
> democracy? :D
>
> is not

I don't mind seeing packages moved into [community], much to the contrary. But as Xyne said,
communication would be nice. If some TU were to ask me 'can I adopt this package and put it in
[community]', why would I say no? Why would anyone, for that matter? :-)

I'd just like to be noticed before, and not after. Of course it's not a democracy, but
communication isn't a synonym of democracy ;-).