[aur-general] aur-general Digest, Vol 70, Issue 13

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.com.ve
Sun Aug 15 10:24:01 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun 15 Aug 2010 15:08 +0300, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Stijn Segers <gotleenucks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I don't mind seeing packages moved into [community], much to the
>> > contrary. But as Xyne said, communication would be nice. If some TU
>> > were to ask me 'can I adopt this package and put it in [community]',
>> > why would I say no? Why would anyone, for that matter? :-)
>>
>> What's the point of asking then? To waste everyone's time? : D
>
> It's part of life really. People like to feel important and appreciated.
> Niceties are what grease the wheels of society. You may end up with a
> happier and more productive community if you can practice them within
> reason..
>
>> > I'd just like to be noticed before, and not after. Of course it's
>> > not a democracy, but communication isn't a synonym of democracy ;-).
>>
>> I think leaving a comment on the package's page before "stealing" it
>> is enough. The maintainer should get notified via e-mail if he has
>> enabled notifications for that package (which for new packages is
>> enabled by default).

We really want a happy community? <joke>then let's gell joints for
everybody ! .. </joke>

Now serious (it's obvious that a peaceful place to work will motivate
you to work in), I try to write to the maintainer a little note, or
comment, in fact if I am moving packages of one user in specific I say
him "dude apply to be a TU" (it's happened to me twice). When I was a
user the fact of the tu getting a package for me was an honour is was
like, and that makes me happy, but we are all different, so .. I
remember people who dislike the idea of "why you will take MY package"
those users are the dangerous, packages belongs to the distro, not
people, devs, tus, and users should practice that IMO.

Btw, Stijn Segers try to don't reply on a digest, is kinda hard to understand..

Cheers

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net