[aur-general] Moving some popular games from AUR to community

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.com.ve
Sun Aug 15 12:02:25 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun 15 Aug 2010 08:30 +0200, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
>>  On 15.08.2010 07:50, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
>> > I would say yes to all of them, but what about the arch-games repo?
>> > How will these two coexist?
>>
>> arch-games is unofficial and has proven to be rather unreliable in the
>> past. I'd like at least the most popular games to receive official
>> blessing and support in our bug tracker. To me this seems like it would
>> be the most consistent and easy way for users.
>> The games would then either be removed from arch-games or not, it's
>> their choice. Duplication of efforts is probably not a good thing, though.
>
> Well, the only way to fix that would be to use it and contribute to it.
> If you shun arch-games then it's more likely to remain in the dark, so I
> encourage everyone to use arch-games and maintain their game packages
> there.

arch-games is a good option IMO, big packages repo, was my original
idea (a year ago), but ... having many repos can be a mess (I agree in
this part with you Sven), but as I said, we are a 30 gb or more distro
on binary packages, that doesn't mean that we have few packages, other
distros have more architectures (case Debian) or their compression
system on the packages is very old fashioned and poor.

Splitting games or big packages as much as can be splitted is the way
to go, but as I said, if the maintainer can handle the situation, then
I won't have any issue accepting games, maybe in a short-future I will
play them =P

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net