[aur-general] Licenses, GPL3 only

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Mon Aug 23 06:21:50 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Ronald van Haren's message of 2010-08-23 12:06:24 +0200:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Philipp <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I just looked up the GPL notation again.
> > Here's the relevant excerpt from the wiki:
> >
> > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards
> >
> > ..
> > The (L)GPL has many versions and permutations of those versions.
> > For (L)GPL software, the convention is:
> >
> >    * (L)GPL - (L)GPLv2 or any later version
> >    * (L)GPL2 - (L)GPL2 only
> >    * (L)GPL3 - (L)GPL3 or any later version
> >

> > Now besides that this is obviously confusing there's another problem.
> > How would you specify that a program is GPL3 only?
> >

> Since when is GPL4 released?
>
> Ronald

It isn't afaik, but that doesn't matter.
Both the GPL2 and GPL3 text contain something along the lines of:
", or (at your option) any later version."

You have to remove that to say it's GPL2 or GPL3 only.

Just because GPL4/5/6/.. doesn't exist yet it doesn't mean you can't
say that your program can't be redistributed using those licenses.

I'm a bit conservative in this case, I rather wait until a license
exists before I say that my program can be distributed using said
license, hence my program is GPL3 only.
--
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu
und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan