[aur-general] Licenses, GPL3 only

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Mon Aug 23 08:15:05 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Ray Rashif's message of 2010-08-23 12:47:44 +0200:
> On 23 August 2010 18:03, Philipp <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I just looked up the GPL notation again.
> > Here's the relevant excerpt from the wiki:
> >
> > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards
> >
> > ..
> > The (L)GPL has many versions and permutations of those versions.
> > For (L)GPL software, the convention is:
> >
> >    * (L)GPL - (L)GPLv2 or any later version
> >    * (L)GPL2 - (L)GPL2 only
> >    * (L)GPL3 - (L)GPL3 or any later version
> >

> > Now besides that this is obviously confusing there's another problem.
> > How would you specify that a program is GPL3 only?
>
> I think what you're trying to say is that you should be allowed to use
> a license and strictly forbid later versions from having an influence.
> But I believe that's not how it works.

That's how it works now. The default text reads
"or, at your option, any later version". Removing that is the way to
make it 'only this version'.

> The Linux kernel, IIRC, was made GPL2 only when GPL3 was released.

That may be, I don't know. If that was the case, then any version up to
that point could be used with any GPL version, be it 3, 4, 5 ...
--
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu
und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan