[aur-general] openmpi, mpich2: provides 'mpi'

Pierre Chapuis catwell at archlinux.us
Tue Aug 24 03:49:27 EDT 2010

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:14:30 +0200, Marco <domanov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> should we define a provides=("mpi") or something like that in openmpi
> and mpich2, and eventually also other possible mpi implementations?
> That way a number of mpi-dependent packages will be made undependent
> of the chosen mpi implementation one wants to install.

Not that my voice matters much but I agree on that. It's the same kind
of thing than depending on java-runtime vs. JRE, especially since MPI
was specifically designed as a specification that could have multiple
implementations.

Packagers will have to be careful though since some functions do not
work exactly the same way in every implementation...

--
Pierre 'catwell' Chapuis