[aur-general] Licenses, GPL3 only

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Aug 26 07:52:30 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Roberto Alsina's message of 2010-08-26 13:31:15 +0200:
> On Thursday 26 August 2010 08:25:06 Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > Excerpts from Roberto Alsina's message of 2010-08-26 13:16:05 +0200:
> > >

> > > Sure:
> > >

> > > GPL2
> > > GPL2+
> > > GPL3
> > > GPL3+
> > > etc.
> >
> > That's what I'd be in favor of. I'm not sure the '+' is the best way,
> > because it has other meanings than 'any later' as well.
>
> I have not heard of something called GPL2+ before. What is it?

Exactly my point, there's no official abbreviation of 'GPL2 or later'
that I know of, and the '+' has the meaning of addition in mathematics
and is often used to mean 'better', which isn't the same as 'later'.

> > > For convenience, you may want to make GPL the equivalent of GPL2+
> >
> > I think that's not convenient but confusing.
>
> Or you may not, of course ;-)

If we change the scheme we need one that's future proof and more
intuitive than the current one, otherwise switching doesn't make sense
at all. It's probably not easy to come up with the perfect scheme.
Something like GPL = 'GPL2 or later' is imho not intuitive.
--
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu
und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan