[aur-general] Licenses, GPL3 only

Roberto Alsina ralsina at netmanagers.com.ar
Thu Aug 26 14:44:38 EDT 2010

On Thursday 26 August 2010 15:38:43 Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from Ronald van Haren's message of 2010-08-26 20:10:00 +0200:
> > >
> > > GPL2
> > > GPL2-only
> > > GPL3
> > > GPL3-only
> > > etc
> > >
> > > Wouldn't that both be clear and avoid sweeping changes as most things
> > > are licensed under the standard "this version or later" license?
> >

> > clear yes, avoid sweeping changes no.
> >

> > most packages are currently gpl2 or later, hence called 'GPL'. These
> > need to be changes to GPL2. packages which currently are GPL2 need to
> > be converted to GPL2-only.
> > You can of course keep both GPL2 and GPL for gpl2 or later for now.
> >

> > Ronald
>
> I also wonder about the GPLv1/any case. It's nothing that should be used
> anymore, but technically all the perl stuff would need 'GPLv1 or later'
> which is the same as 'GPL any'.

Just in case: if a package is licensed under "GPLvX and later" and Arch says
it's GPLvY (with Y >= X) and doesn't say anything about "or later", that's not
a problem, for Arch, really, it will be using one of the allowed licenses in
any case.

It may be a problem if it ends combining it with another program which
requires one of the "later" GPLs, though.