[aur-general] PKGBUILD: build() vs package() function

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Aug 29 10:29:06 EDT 2010

On 29/08/10 06:32, Nicky726 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> hope I don't get this missplaced, as a quick search didn'd get me any results.
>
> When I have a package, which does actually build nothing -- say wine_gecko (a
> file only needs to be placed to a correct directory) -- I should only have
> package() function in the PKGBUILD, is that a correct interpretation?
>
> Now the makepkg is happy but the AUR complaints. I can workaround that with an
> empty build() function in that case the AUR is happy but the makepkg
> complains. So I just put in there a harmless echo and both are happy now.
> Actually my question is not that much about the correct workarounding, as it
> is about if I really get the meaning of the build() and package() functions
> correctly, that is for building build(), for installing package()?

It actually makes no difference.   Makepkg treats packages with only a
build() function the same as packages with only a package() function in
that everything is run under fakeroot.

When both a build() and package() function are present, the build()
function is run as the user calling makepkg and the package() function
is run under fakeroot.

So it should be clear that an empty build() function is a waste of time...

Allan