[aur-general] TU Application: Dave Reisner

Peter Lewis plewis at aur.archlinux.org
Thu Dec 2 17:22:02 CET 2010

On Thursday 02 December 2010 16:13:56 Cédric Girard wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
> > Packages that are built from vcs but which are based on some form of
> > upstream
> > "release" should not include the tag in the package name.
> >
> > I think the simplest rule of thumb would be that if the same PKGBUILD
> > generates
> > different binary packages depending on when makepkg was run, then it
> > should include the suffix in the name.
>
> These two rules are not the same. For instance the package xbmc-svn [1] is
> based on fixed svn version that does not corresponds to any "release"
> upstream. It is just tested svn revisions (by the packager) as not every
> revisions are usable.

My view would be that if a package builds a semi-stable but unreleased version
(from wherever) which has been selected by the packager or upstream, then the
package should be suffixed by -dev, -prerelease -unstable or something
similar.

For the removal of confusion, -git -svn etc. should *track* the VCS in my
view.

Pete.