[aur-general] Amendment

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 14:57:02 EST 2010

On Sun 05 Dec 2010 14:40 -0500, Shacristo wrote:

> >> You need to multiply 0.66 x TUs for the actual quorum requirement and
> >> you're counting no and abstain votes exactly the same.  My
> >> understanding is that abstain votes are only used for establishing a
> >> quorum.  Otherwise there's no reason to have them.
> >
> > Um, "votes > TUs * quorum" is the same thing as "votes / TUs > quorum".
> >
> > There is no difference between voting "no" and "abstain" currently.
> > The simple majority is counted by dividing the number of "yes" votes
> > by the total number of users that have participated, including those
> > who "abstain".
> >
> > I agree that there should be a difference between "no" and "abstain", but I
> > didn't write the bylaws and I have proposed alternatives that would draw a
> > distinction before, although I don't remember what.
>
> Ah, you are correct, I missed the division there.
>
> I agree that a strict reading of the bylaws treats 'abstain' the same
> as 'no' despite people interpreting them to be different.  Perhaps the
> wording should be changed now while everybody is looking over the
> bylaws.

Well as far as I can interpret it the bylaws don't actually say what
abstain means, so it could mean anything: yes, no, or pineapple.
Nor does it define what a simple majority is uhhh.

Ambiguity abounds. The bylaws should be made clearer. If we read them
carefully I hope we're clever enough to understand their intention as
they are right now though.