[aur-general] Amendment

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Dec 5 15:44:11 EST 2010

Loui Chang wrote:

> That's right. Abstained votes are counted for quorum (The TU was present
> for the vote), but is a ruined or blank vote, so do not affect the final
> result. The passing of the motion results from the number of 'aye' votes
> being greater than 'nay'.

I'm bumping with an updated version of the script and my reply in the other thread:

Xyne wrote:

> Loui Chang wrote:
>
> > Remember abstained votes don't count as votes.
>
> I've never read it that way. If "abstain" counts towards the quorum then it
> counts towards the total number of votes. A simple majority must therefore be
> more than half of all the votes, i.e. > 1/2 * (yes + no + abstain).
>
> If it wasn't that way then 1 person could vote yes and everyone else could
> abstain yet the motion would still pass. I think a greater show of confidence
> than 1 "yes" vote should be required before giving someone access to [community]
> and the AUR.
>
> Basically, a TU application should be accepted base on a threshold level of
> confidence, not an absence of opposition. Requiring a simple majority of those
> who participate in the vote achieves that.
>
> Regardless, it's clear that the bylaws need to be amended.

Updated script:

#!/usr/bin/env python2

from sys import argv
from fractions import Fraction

# Quorum (66%)
quorum = Fraction(66, 100)

# Majority
majority = Fraction(50, 100)

# Total active TUs, yes votes, no votes, abstain votes.
TUs, yes, no, abstain = [Fraction(x) for x in argv[1:]]
# Total number of votes.
votes = yes + no + abstain

# If an absolute majority has voted yes,
# or quorum has been established with a simple majority
if (yes / TUs) > majority \
or ( (votes / TUs) >= quorum and (yes / votes) > majority):
  print "The motion has passed."

else:
  print "The motion has failed."