[aur-general] TU Application

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Sun Dec 5 18:09:03 EST 2010

On 05.12.2010 23:38, Kaiting Chen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Jelle van der Waa <jelle at vdwaa.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hello all.
>> I would love to see
>> improvements like more splitting of packages which has been done with
>> packages like compiz.
>
> Hi, can I ask what you mean by the splitting of packages? The last thing I
> want to see is the debianization of our distribution, where one package is
> needlessly split into a hundred little ones. --Kaiting.

I think he is referring mostly to the game packages. Currently if you
want to setup a dedicated game server, you will also have to install the
whole graphics dependency stack like mesa on a headless, X-less server.
This is obviously undesirable.

Splitting would make sense in this case, though so far due to lack of
time these packages weren't spit.

In detail, it would mean splitting a package like nexuiz into
nexuiz-client, nexuiz-server, nexuiz-data, nexuiz-common. I agree that
this looks Debian-ish but it might actually make sense.

-- Sven-Hendrik