[aur-general] TU Application

Ionuț Bîru ibiru at archlinux.org
Sun Dec 5 18:41:33 EST 2010

On 12/05/2010 11:50 PM, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> Hello all.

Hi,
> I would like apply to become a TU! Daenyth has decided to sponsor me for
> my TU application

At last you had the balls to apply :P

> I'm 21 years old and a Bachelor student Computer Science. I have
> experience with C++, C, x86 ASM, Java, Python, PHP, SQL and javascript. I use
> archlinux on daily basis as a server and as desktop on my laptop.
>
> Since a year I am a maintainer at the Arch-Games project[0], since then i
> learned how to deal with makepkg, libpng/libjpeg patches, rebuilding
> packages for boost/python. Also learning how to work and setup clean
> chroots for 32 and 64 bit and how to improve PKGBUILDs and use tools
> like git/svn/namcap.
>
> I have had much fun and hard work working on updating packages for
> arch-games, Daenyth really helped me a lot and #archlinux and
> #archlinux-offtopic guys too ;) Also I must admit i have learned a lot
> from Ioni.

Indeed and i was having fun spreading the knowledge. I know him from a
long time and i enjoy talking and working with him.

> I would like to become a Trusted User, so I can help packaging for
> community since something there are a lot of orphan packages so I will
> be always prepared to update/improve those packages. I would love to see
> improvements like more splitting of packages which has been done with
> packages like compiz. Also creating more any packages would be better
> for our mirrors. Since we didn't have much space for packages, I have
> had to split much data packages to "any".

there is a small catch regarding splitting from the same pkgbase.
makepkg supports splitting and overriding archs but the scripts that
manages our repos doesn't have support and from my understanding, never
will do. That means you will need a second pkgbuilds.

> My current packaging interests are haskell, LaTeX, cli apps,
> virtualization.
>
> In the future i am looking into improving tools such as namcap.
>
> Feel free ask any questions here or on irc.
>
> [0] https://github.com/Arch-Games/arch-games
>

> P.S. Allan made me apply :P

i'm the primary witness here. i was present and i can testify

--
Ionuț