[aur-general] Augeas request

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 10:55:22 EST 2010

I have an odd request with regards to an aur package - augeas:

I have been working toward porting an extremely powerful virtualization
application to ArchLinux - Libguestfs: http://libguestfs.org/
The libguestfs package will also enable a number of other virtualization
packages to be packaged for Archlinux.

The port of Libguestfs has required a number of changes to the upstream
project and I have had to submit a fair amount of code to make it possible,
and the upstream developers have been more than helpful in this effort.
The problem I am facing now is one that I do not yet have the power to
repair, as I am not yet a TU and I doubt I have enough clout yet to apply.

You see, the build process needs to create a tiny virtual machine image,
(the image is quite remarkable, a vm image for Arch in less than 50K) but
the process to create the image requires that all packages for the image be
available as binary downloads from a main Arch repo, aka core, extra and
community.

This brings me to my request, the augeas package. Augeas and a number of
other packages which are only available in the AUR are required by this
image, including hfsutils and zfs-fuse.
While hfsutils and zfs-fuse are "nice to have" in the libguestfs image, and
can be safely omitted, augeas is a hard requirement.

So, since I can not do this myself yet I will request that a TU take up this
small responsibility and maintain augeas in community so I can finish the
port of libguestfs to Arch. Once I am a TU I will be more than take it off
your hands!

I have spent the last 3 months working tirelessly in my effort to bring
better kvm/libvirt support to Arch, I am the author of varch:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=42428 and I have more software in
the wings to bring better virtualization support to Arch that requires
libguestfs, please help me out!

Thanks
Thomas S Hatch - thatch45