[aur-general] Remove ardour3-svn

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Mon Dec 20 17:30:55 EST 2010

Bernardo Barros wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I suggest to remove ardour3-svn from AUR. It's not ready for use
> yet. See message from the author below.

> From: Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
> Date: 2010/12/20
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Ardour3
> To: Bernardo Barros <bernardobarros2 at gmail.com>
> Cc: Fabio <capoeirista at arcor.de>, linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>

> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Bernardo Barros
> <bernardobarros2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's not really a oficial arch binary package, paul..
> > it's a arch user script that builds from svn.
>
> that doesn't make a whole heap of difference. people who use svn are
> at least 1 step closer to understanding that the first step after a
> crash is "svn update". people using arch build scripts ... not so
> much, i suspect. moreover, people using svn are probably (hopefully!)
> on the commit mailing list and can see that the version they got this
> morning is now 8 commits old by lunchtime. again, people using arch
> build scripts ... not so much

I don't agree with him. Any real archer will want to use a PKGBUILD to do this.
Removing it from the AUR will just force people to recreate the same PKGBUILD
themselves and for no good reason. Admittedly the AUR in combination with the
various AUR helpers makes it easy for a casual user to install the package, but
I don't think there will be a wave of disinterested users installing the
package. Plus those very same AUR helpers make it trivial to quickly update to
the latest version with a single command.

I recommend leaving it on the AUR while making it *very* clear that it is
strictly for development and testing, and that users should subscribe to the
upstream mailing list.

You could do this by including very visible instructions in the post_install
message (along with a once-off post_update message to inform existing users).

This is only my opinion though. I'm interested in the other TUs' views.

Regards,
Xyne