[aur-general] VirtualBox in [community]

Ionuț Bîru ibiru at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 27 08:17:15 EST 2010

On 12/27/2010 02:56 PM, Heiko Baums wrote:
> In the [community] repo there are the following packages in addition to
> the package virtualbox 4.0.0-2:
>
> virtualbox-additions 4.0.0-1 (any)
> virtualbox-guest-additions 4.0.0-2 (i686 and x86_64)
> virtualbox-guest-modules 4.0.0-2 (i686 and x86_64)
>
> In ABS there's only virtualbox-additions.

virtualbox, virtualbox-guest-addions, virtualbox-guest-modules are split
from virtualbox and you'll find them in /var/abs/community/virtualbox

> What is what package? And is virtualbox-additions a duplicate of
> virtualbox-guest-additions? If yes, it would be nice, if this could be
> removed from [community] without moving it to AUR.

no. the descriptions is wrong from virtualbox-guest-additions and it was
fixed in -3

> And it would be nice if virtualbox-ext-oracle
> (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=44761) would be moved to
> [community], too, so that virtualbox is completely in [community] with
> all its features.

no

> And, btw., does it really make sense to split virtualbox? I mean in
> most cases the virtualbox-guest-additions and virtualbox-guest-modules
> are needed for running virtualbox or the guests anyway.

yes. a lot of users are using the guest additions provided in the repos
instead of installing them as described in the manual.

--
Ionuț