[aur-general] VirtualBox in [community]

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Tue Dec 28 06:09:15 EST 2010

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 12:59:45 +0200
Ionuț Bîru <ibiru at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 12/28/2010 12:55 PM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 11:40:31 +0800
> > Ng Oon-Ee<ngoonee at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> virtualbox-additions is the iso to install guest additions inside
> >> the virtual machine (win or any linux), virtualbox-guest-additions
> >> is to install the additions inside an Arch guest.
> >
> > why not call the former virtualbox-additions-image or something?
> > a name like that is miles clearer, imho.
> >
> > Dieter
>
> historical reasons and i didn't bothered changing. I admit that now
> virtualbox-additions 4.0.0-1 doesn't have a good description but that
> was fixed in trunk.
>
> the name of the package doesn't really matter. Descriptions are
> important in this case.

descriptions are a good way to give additional info, but it makes
no sense to keep the packagename itself vague and force people
to read the description when that could be easily avoided.
especially in this case the packagenames are very confusing.

I would rename as follows:
virtualbox-additions -> virtualbox-additions-image
virtualbox-guest-additions -> virtualbox-additions

or to be extra clear:
virtualbox-additions -> virtualbox-guest-additions-image
virtualbox-guest-additions stays virtualbox-guest-additions

Dieter