[aur-general] Breaking the unspoken rule: AUR helper in [community]

Nathan Owens ndowens.aur at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 01:11:54 EST 2010

On 12/29/2010 08:56 PM, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Thu, 30 Dec 2010 04:43:46 +0200
> schrieb Evangelos Foutras<foutrelis at gmail.com>:
>
>> Personally, I don't feel strong either way. As it was explained to me
>> on IRC, cower doesn't include any building or installation
>> functionality, it only searches for packages, downloads them, and can
>> also check for updates to installed, unsupported, packages.
> But when I see how many times people ask for adding packages from
> base-devel like gcc or pkg-config to depends and how many people don't
> read the AUR and ABS wiki pages I'm not sure that such tools should be
> in the repos.
>
> Heiko
I know I am not a TU, though I figured I would put in my "two-cents". I
agree it may be bad for first time users to have an AUR helper if they
don't understand there is risks. Though this gave me a idea, that may
not be liked or approved of, maybe if we split AUR into either packages
with the most votes or maintainers that are concidered trusted or been
around a while, from the vice versa. Kind of a trusted of the
unsupported packages. Going along with the assumption that the idea
would work and approved of, create a AUR helper, that would be in the
community repo, that will only pull from the trusted AUR.