[aur-general] [arch-dev-public] Breaking the unspoken rule: AUR helper in [community]

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 13:51:36 EST 2010

On Thu 30 Dec 2010 14:26 +0200, Ionuț Bîru wrote:
> On 12/30/2010 04:16 AM, Dan McGee wrote:
> >http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/cower/
> >
> >Thoughts? I was under the impression we didn't do this, and definitely
> >on purpose, otherwise people have *no* idea the AUR is different in a
> >lot of ways. Making people go the "hard way" to get a helper installed
> >at least presents some (necessary) barrier.
>
> i consider cower being a cli interface from aur and it much better than the
> html version. with it i can found more easily packages because it has bash
> completion, searching has regex. Just try to find the link for opera build
> from aur using the html interface vs cower.

Opera is in [community] I believe.
If we do want to adopt an 'official' AUR client then we should present
it on the AUR web page, and put it in the git repo along with the server
scripts, rather than putting it on [community].

> The only "rule" i found in wikis about this subject is:
>
> Note: There is not and will never be an official mechanism for installing
> build material from UNSUPPORTED. All users should be familiar with the build
> process.
>
> Maybe we should change that and include all aur helpers that interface with
> the official json api from aur.archlinux.org.

Yeah I think we should make an explicit rule to say that no programs
that purposely interface with the AUR will be in [community] or an
official repo. This way we don't need to have debates on what kind of
programs are kosher or not.