[aur-general] Policy on abandoned projects?

Erik Johnson palehose at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 17:46:46 EST 2010

--

-Erik

"For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to
persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."  --Carl Sagan

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 05:14:15PM -0500, Ranguvar wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:26, Erik Johnson <palehose at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the policy with regard to projects that appear to have been
>> abandoned? For instance, no matter what distribution I run, I find
>> myself compiling spellutils for its excellent "newsbody" program, which
>> I use in mutt to feed aspell only the body of the message instead of the
>> full message (including quoted replies, headers, etc). However, for some
>> time now the homepage of this project has been defunct, and the
>> developer has been unreachable. The project does not have a
>> sourceforge/github/etc location from which the source code can be
>> retrieved, I was only able to find the source code myself thanks to a
>> couple different source code archives, which I am not sure if I can rely
>> on 100% to keep the source available.
>>
>> What can I do to get this project into the AUR? I have no problem
>> writing a PKGBUILD, I just need to find an acceptable way of making the
>> source available, and I'm not sure if there's a protocol for this
>> that AUR package maintainers typically follow.
>>

>> Many thanks,
>>
>> --
>>
>> -Erik
>>
>> "For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to
>> persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."  --Carl Sagan
>
>Personally, I would say that for an AUR package, a < 100% reliable
>source is fine.
>
>However, what I've done for high-demand packages (like my bin32-wine
>when [extra] does not update quickly),
>is to talk to people and find someone who would be kind enough to host.
>
>Actually though, I think www.omploader.org works for PKGBUILDs.  If it
>does, it is both fast and reliable.

Thanks. I'm working on the PKGBUILD right now. Is it necessary to
include packages which are part of base or base-devel as makedepends? I
didn't see any information about this in the PKGBUILD manpage.