[aur-general] moving winw-wow64 into community

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Sat Jul 17 23:49:56 EDT 2010

On 07/17/10 18:54, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
>   The package-magician heftig managed to put together a wine-wow64
> package which is currently in AUR and enables users to not only run
> 32bit Windows application on x86_64 Arch like bin32-wine but also 64bit
> Windows applications.
> Basically, it contains a 32bit and 64bit Windows environment to do this,
> a lot like native 64bit Windows installations do, in fact.
>
> We'd like to see this package replace bin32-wine in community.  [...]
> Sadly, using it also implies moving a bunch of lib32s and the cross32
> chain into community. This will be a problem for some people.

Can the magic used by heftig to make "wine-wow64" also alternatively be
used to improve* the "bin32-wine" pkgbuild's functionality without
adding the 64bit functionality?  Just curious.  *Since the 'improvement'
would depend on a bunch of lib32s/cross32, some would think it's not an
improvement.  I don't personally mind having those things in community
(I don't think all the packages in [community] have to represent a
unified philosophy, as long as they don't break each other!  These
packages don't stop you from having a chroot, and neither do they force
you to install them if you don't want anything 32bit on your system.)

> To summarize: wine-wow64 is like bin32-wine but with the ability to run
> 64bit applications.

Why is it called "wow64"?  Why not something descriptive like
"wine-32-and-64"
or
"wine"
?
In particular does it have anything fundamentally to do with "wow" (I
guess that's "world of warcraft"?)

-Isaac