[aur-general] sage-mathematics

A Rojas nqn1976list at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 03:29:11 EDT 2010

> I took a longer look at their build/install system, and it doesn't
> look like it is very flexible in using external packages.
> It fully provides http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/ by default.
> These packages are optional http://www.sagemath.org/packages/optional/
> which you would have to install after installing sage-mathematics
> afaik.
> Also, another optional package is in http://www.sagemath.org/sagedb/
> which is basically a database that's worth a 2.6GB download :/
> I have contacted upstream in case there is a relatively sane way of
> using external packages that come with the distro. I will post back if
> upstream says it's possible, but it looks like it won't be possible.

Mandriva has had a sage package built with external apps for a while which
works quite well [1], it could be interesting to see if their spec file can
be translated to a PKGBUILD. Also gentoo has a split ebuild here [2]. See
also [3] for the Fedora plans for a package, although it seems stalled at
the moment.

[1] http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-
bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/sagemath/current/SPECS/sagemath.spec?view=co
[2] http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/SciTech/SAGE