[aur-general] How to name package?

Ranguvar ranguvar at archlinux.us
Mon Mar 15 17:58:32 CET 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 18:36, Dave <diendien at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to create a new package for lightning, which is the calendar
> extension for Thunderbird. I currently manage lightning-nightly for 32-bit
> systems, but for 64-bit systems (which I'm using now), I have to build the
> extension from source. This process initially downloads a lot of files, so
> if I created a package for this, it would take an hour to download and build
> a 1.2MB extension. Thus, I was going to build the extension on my computer
> and upload the XPIs to a server. However, I'm not sure what I should name
> the package and keep track of the versions.
>
> The process is: use mercurial to clone the comm-central code, then run a
> python script which will update the source with cvs.  After that, I can run
> make to build the lightning extension, upload it to a server, and then allow
> anyone to download it. To update, I need only to run the python script and
> rebuil
>
> Any suggestions on how the package should be named? Maybe -hg or -src? I'm
> also not sure which package version to use (since I may only update the XPI
> itself once a week/month).

Because building from source is still the "proper" way to do things,
and using user-generated binaries requires a certain level of trust on
the part of the user if they understand what how it works:

I would create a package that builds from source and name it
'lightning-nightly', one that uses 32-bit binaries called
'lightning-nightly-bin32', and one that uses your 64-bit binaries
called 'lightning-nightly-bin64'.  You'd probably need to have a
'lightning-nightly' build-from-source PKGBUILD on your computer
anyways to automate building your 64-bit binaries, so it isn't much
extra effort.

Then, put a notice in the 'lightning-nightly' that build takes a very
long time and they may want to use a -bin package, and a notice in the
-bin64 one that they're using binaries created by a user (the paranoid
types like me will appreciate this info being handed out ^^).

  -- Ranguvar
  [Devin Cofer]