[aur-general] AUR Maintenance

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 22:39:03 CET 2010

On Tue 23 Mar 2010 21:51 +0100, Xavier Chantry wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue 23 Mar 2010 15:09 -0400, Loui Chang wrote:
> >> Hello everyone!
> >> I'm going to look into fixing some issues with the AUR right now.
> >> Please don't be alarmed if the site isn't working for a little while.
> >
> > I've deleted existing comments from the AUR.
> >
> > I ran into a problem juggling the encodings, which was the problem I was
> > trying to fix. The aur should properly display utf8 in comments now
> > though.
> >
> > It may be possible to restore most of the old comments, but that's
> > something that we'd have to look into later.
>
> Probably a stupid question but just to be sure : being able to look
> into it later supposes that there is an easy way to restore old
> comments by keeping the new ones ? (i.e. merging both)
> Or will the new ones be lost when restoring the old ones ?

Old comments are mostly backed up but suffer from some
encoding issues - that's the first hurdle.

There should be a way to merge old and new comments. I'm not exactly
sure how easy that would be however. Probably pretty easy for a real
sysadmin. That I am not unfortunately.

I'm not sure how much value is in the old comments, but it's not worth
keeping the AUR locked down while I try to figure it out.