[aur-general] perl prereleases request to make official decision to deviate from general guidleines

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sat May 1 05:24:53 CEST 2010

> I'm working on a PKGBUILD for perl 5.12 and I notice that it's
> providing 20 some odd prerelease modules. I'm annoyed but I can't do
> anything about it.
>
> The general PKGBUILD guidelines say use the same as upstream unless
> there is a hyphen. so for a perl prerelease of 0.90_1 that guideline
> follows to release it as exactly the same. However 0.90_1 is == 0.90.1
> and greater than 0.90 which it is a prerelease for on cpan.
>
> I'd like to suggest that for perl the official guideline be to make
> the version 0.90_pre1
>
> Dist::Zilla a release automation tool also allows for using a format
> _TRIAL which is not yet popular on cpan but does happen should pacman
> add a _trial ? to the list of options? I think we could just use _pre
> here too.
> --
> Caleb Cushing

See my previous reply to the thread PKGVER (prerelease hell). I agree
that Arch's CPAN version scheme is flawed (mixing of old and new CPAN
schemes, failure to understand CPAN schemes (e.g. 0.30 is actually
0.300), naïve handling of release versions, etc).

I believe the formatting function that I've written to convert CPAN
versions to Pacman versions addresses these issues. If you agree and
decide to use it too, I think we could push harder for CPAN package
uniformity in Arch to try to clean up the current mess, which is an
unnecessary source of frustration.

Xyne