[aur-general] community repo "cleanup"

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed May 19 06:59:58 CEST 2010

Hi,

I was thinking that it has been almost a year since the [community] repo
switched to using the main db-scripts, but there are still a large
number of packages without the package architecture in their name (the
old scripts removed it).   It is somewhere around 1/3 of the repo
(anything build before 2009-07-14).   In fact, one package (datemath)
was built back in 2005!

Given these packages are obviously not updated much, it would be good to
give them a rebuild to get new packaging policies in place such as:
  - get the package architecture in the file name
  - build with new toolchain, CFLAGS, LDFLAGS etc
  - compress with .xz format
  - convert to arch=any as necessary
  - $startdir usage
  - package() functions
  - ...

It would also be a good time to remove old packages that are really no
longer of interest from the repo.

What do people think?   I can create an internal TODO list for these
packages that can be slowly worked through.

Allan