[aur-general] community repo "cleanup"

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Thu May 20 10:46:21 CEST 2010

On 20/05/2010, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> This seems way too complicated...   and I am not sure of the advantages
> over the current TODO list system.
>
> The TODO list which shows when packages are built for only one
> architecture.  So if someone can only build for one Arch, another person
> already can see the other needing done and do the build.   And that
> should be a non-issue given access to PKGBUILD.com anyway.
>
> Also, x86_64 packagers should not need to anything complicated to deal
> with chroots or VMs to build i686 packages.  My only change to build for
> i686 from x86_64 is to add linux32 in front of the makechrootpkg command.

I think Xyne was concerned about packagers sharing the (architecture)
load and conflicting updates, but I believe that is very unlikely to
happen. Even when it does, you can just revert your changes and let
the previous committer go on to complete the update for both
architectures. He can request another packager to build for an arch
that he cannot.

It will just be like previous major rebuilds, only this time they go
to community-testing. And there are 2 slots per arch on PKGBUILD.com
with a nice queueing system :)

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD