[aur-general] community repo "cleanup"

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat May 22 10:45:19 EDT 2010

On 23/05/10 00:37, Chris Brannon wrote:
> Allan McRae wrote:
>> Given these packages are obviously not updated much, it would be good to
>> give them a rebuild to get new packaging policies in place such as:
> *SNIP*
>>    - package() functions
>
> Hi,
> Should we always have a package() function?  Are there situations
> in which it is not appropriate?

package() functions are good as if one is present then fakeroot will not
be used during the build() function.   However, some packages are all
install and no build, so they do not need a separate build() and
package() functions.  As makepkg-3.3 can not handle PKGBUILDs with a
package() function and no build() function, in that case it is best to
stick to using just a build() function.  (pacman-3.4 will fix that)

Allan