[aur-general] PKGBUILD that helps with VCS upstream contribution?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sun May 23 06:00:03 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Daenyth Blank's message of 2010-05-21 00:03:53 +0200:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 18:01, Philipp <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> > Now if I wanted to contribute code back to a project that uses git, how
> > would I do that without losing the comfort and safety of makepkg?
> > I figured it should be possible to write a PKGBUILD that gets the latest
> > upstream changes but also integrates local changes.
>
> Fork their git repo (github makes this easy), add and commit your
> changes, and set your PKGBUILD to use your forked version. You can use
> git format-patch to send things back to them, or send a pull request
> through github or some other medium. The individual project will
> determine what's the best method.

Ah, yes. I don't remember whether github can follow upstream or whether
I have to do that manually and push to github.
I think it's a nice way to do it, since github is always available and
upstream can pull (which may or may not work locally).

But a number of projects still use svn (I even know at least one that
uses cvs) and this approach won't work there afaik.
--

Regards,
Philipp