[aur-general] [arch-general] [extra] repository cleanup

Andrea Scarpino andrea at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 10 12:57:37 CET 2010

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 12:43:28 Heiko Baums wrote:
> You should really think about that. There are many of the most
> important, oldest and best known packages in this list like dia, ding,
> xboard, eboard, epdfview, slmodem etc.
>
> In other words, your list is likely the half of the distro.
>
> If you would put all of them to AUR then you could give up Arch Linux,
> because then it has almost no advantage over Gentoo, that is, then will
> Arch Linux become a second Gentoo, because the users will have to
> compile a lot of (most of the) important packages manually.
>
> And the reason why I switched from Gentoo to Arch Linux about 3 or 4
> years ago after using Gentoo for about 6 years was that I was sick of
> compiling everything and that Arch Linux was a binary distribution.
>
> So if you would really do this clean up and move all these packages to
> AUR then I could and most likely would switch back to Gentoo.
>
> So really, please, reconsider your idea of doing this massive and
> pointless cleanup.
If you read with attention my mail, you read:

"If some DEV wants to keep a package simply cross it out (adoption is not
required, but it would be nice) or reply to this mail."

This means that if _any_ DEV consider a package important and he thinks that
should be kept in [extra], he only have to cross it out. Also, if you look at
that wiki page, ours TUs want to maintain more of them in [community]. So
there is no reasons to say that we will became a second Gentoo.

Cheers

--
Andrea Scarpino
Arch Linux Developer