[aur-general] Welcome our newest TU, Kaiting Chen!

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 10 15:14:15 CET 2010

On 10 November 2010 17:15, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
> I also want to address something else. I am disappointed that 5 TUs voted no
> without anyone voicing any concerns during the discussion period. To abstain
> from a vote indicates that you do not have an opinion one way or the other, but
> to vote no is to indicate that you have a reason to believe that the application
> should be rejected. The discussion period is for discussing exactly such
> things. It gives the applicant a chance to address any issues and it enables
> others to consider what they might not have considered before.
>
> If you have a concern that no one else has expressed during a discussion period
> then it is your duty as a TU and an active participant in the discussion to
> bring it up. Please do so in the future.
>
> I also want to say that I do not want anyone to bring up there reasons now. The
> time for that is past and there would be nothing to be gained from it, and it
> might lead to unnecessary tensions.

There is no problem with that. The bylaws do not dictate against
silence. This is why:

It was brought to our attention at least on one prior occasion. The
problem only arises when an application fails, and everyone keeps
quiet. That is simply not very nice, though they have the technical
right to do so.

A TU may or may not participate in the discussion depending on whether
she has anything significant to add, and if she decides not and
chooses to vote against the applicant, may do so without voicing an
opinion. If this contributes to a failed application, then the ethical
thing to do is to state her reasons for the negative vote. Hell, we
wouldn't even know if one or more TUs just played around with the
buttons!

Anyway, welcome aboard, Kaiting!