[aur-general] [community] repository cleanup

Andrea Scarpino andrea at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 16 13:23:30 CET 2010

On Tuesday 16 November 2010 12:48:03 Heiko Baums wrote:
> Man, you know that you have removed most of the packages from your
> "draft" from [extra].
Man, you know my list was made by 352 packages and I removed only ~180. Not
every package in that list will be removed so calm down.

> And I need to install three times as many packages from AUR as I needed
> three years ago just because they have been removed from the repos to
> AUR.
This is the third or fourth time that you repeat this. Do you think that I
care about it? I already told you: if you want to add those packages, apply as
TU. You are welcome. If you cannot and if you have not the time to build an
updated version of a package you should think about switch distro.

> And the repos of Arch Linux are pretty small compared to other distros
> anyway. That's always mentioned as disadvantage in reviews of Arch
> Linux. This is a bit compensated by AUR, but if you regularly move
> important or popular packages to AUR then Arch Linux will become a
> second Gentoo and for some people who want or need a binary distro
> unusable.
I don't care about comparisons with others distro. Let people use what they
need, not the distro with more binaries.

--
Andrea Scarpino
Arch Linux Developer