[aur-general] [community] repository cleanup

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Tue Nov 16 14:09:35 CET 2010

Am Tue, 16 Nov 2010 22:25:34 +1000
schrieb Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>:

> Really, cars will start flying if we just tell the manufactures it is
> so?  Because I have been waiting for that for a long time...

Do you always compare apples and oranges?

> But what actually makes you think that you can expect anything from
> the distro apart from whatever the developers decide?

I generally don't expect anything. And I really respect the voluntary
work. And I guess you haven't read many/any overbearing claims from me.

But I expect from a developer that he doesn't remove popular packages
inconsiderately from the repos. (Otherwise don't call Arch Linux a
binary distro.) I expect from a developer that he uses his brain. Sorry
for this wording.

And I expect from a developer that he isn't arrogant and ignorant to
users and that he listens to the user's opinion and respects their
opinions.

>  Just because
> people use the distribution does not mean their opinions count for
> anything. In fact, the opinions of >99% of the users of this distro
> do not count for anything because they contribute nothing towards the
> distribution.

Have you thought of people who are not able to program or to write
documentations or the like? Have you thought of people who just use
their computers as an electronic typewriter or for looking for e-mails
etc.?

Do you really expect every usual computer user to learn a programming
language?

Btw., I'm already maintaining some AUR packages, worked on a wiki page
for one of these packages. So don't tell me I wouldn't contribute
anything.

> Now, if someone wants to pay me and others to develop the distro,
> then their opinions will count.  Otherwise, I am "working" for free
> and so I am king of what I decide to do.

You may decide what to do. But you should take the user's opinions or
wishes into account.

> Slightly exaggerated.  But perhaps we do need that to keep people
> from forming such unfounded ideas about their opinions counting
> towards anything around here.

Really, these are not unfounded ideas.

And you and some other devs (thankfully not all of them) should reflect
about your ignorance.

Heiko