[aur-general] AUR Improvement Thread

Ángel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 17 15:01:48 CET 2010

2010/11/17 Kaiting Chen <kaitocracy at gmail.com>:
> How can we make the AUR even better? I'll start:
>
> 1. Integrated distributed version control system

+1 but I think distributed is not necessary at all, but keeping the
revisions of a PKGBUILD or the rest of the files will be nice.

> 2. User provided binaries (if case anyone wants to volunteer) (this should
> probably be carefully controlled)

-1 ... if anyone wants to volunteer, they can apply to be a TU.

> 3. Time-adjusted 'relevance' measure (votes are useful but suck at the same
> time; nobody cares if a packages was upvoted 9000+ times a million years
> ago, especially if it's already been obsoleted by something else)

0 No comments, maybe we should do one better statistic, number of
downloads per day or something like.

> 4. An official client

-1 No, but if point 1 is accomplished you will do your own client for
handle it :)

> 5. LDAP support because LDAP makes everything so much better

0 LDAP support just for AUR? I thought in LDAP to manage all our
systems (forums, bbs, wiki, dev/tu backends) -but this requires soo
manpower-, so I'd like to implement this, but not just for AUR .. and
it will be good if these ideas goes to AUR2, because having LDAP + a
VCS system will make a little bit painful the migration process, from
the actual aur to the new aur.

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net