[aur-general] AUR helpers in [community]?

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Thu Nov 18 09:54:55 CET 2010

On 11/18/10 03:30, Kaiting Chen wrote:
> Can AUR helpers go into [community]? `burp` and `cower` each have over ten
> votes and qualify, but I never see AUR helpers in binary form so I thought I
> would ask. --Kaiting.

No.

I looked to see where this was documented on the wiki and the closest I
found in a couple minutes was
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Installing_Packages_from_the_AUR
"Note: There is not and will never be an official mechanism for
installing build material from UNSUPPORTED. All users should be familiar
with the build process."
...being in [community] makes it too official (although this reasoning
is not trivially obvious from the quote).  It makes it possible to
install the AUR Helper without ever having that moment of
experience/familiarity using makepkg (to draw from the quote's second
sentence).

-Isaac