[aur-general] AUR helpers in [community]?

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Thu Nov 18 22:20:01 CET 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 04:43:15AM +0800, Ray Rashif wrote:
> So, IMO, it is best that such tools, regardless of the extent of
> features, be left in AUR. I myself use slurpy for upload, and rarely
> do I use the search/download features :)

I basically agree. The AUR is unsupported and has nothing to do with
Arch Linux or the [community] repository. Imho, it's as if we'd move
dpkg and/or rpm from [unsupported] to [community] (to a certain extent,
at least). Both of them have more than 100 votes but are not moved since
we don't want alternative package managers in the repos. There's no
other convincing reason for that. They are just unsupported.

Moreover, if people use packages from the AUR so extensively that they
need AUR helpers, they should be fine with building one more package
from source, shouldn't they? (Don't take that last sentence too serious.
Please.)