[aur-general] oh-my-zsh PKGBUILD

Tony crt.011 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 07:14:15 CET 2010

On 11/22/2010 09:38 PM, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 7:08 AM, Tony<crt.011 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> |PKGBUILD: http://archlinux.pastebin.com/n5B7tALf
>> .install: http://archlinux.pastebin.com/pwfaLbM0
> The PKGBUILD and .install file still contain references to the user's
> home directory (for the latter, it's only a harmless message in
> post_install, but the information is wrong).
>
> After taking a closer look at oh-my-zsh, I'm not sure if it's a good
> candidate for a package. I find the manual installation instructions
> at https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh#readme to be very
> intuitive and easy to follow, and at the same time providing the user
> with complete control over what's happening.
>
> Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but having a package which is a
> snapshot of the Git repository isn't much better -- and is probably
> worse -- than each user keeping a Git clone in their home directories.
You do make a good point on the matter. The manual instructions at
https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh#readme are easy to follow
without really needing a PKGBUILD. Originally, using the manual
instructions was how I went about using oh-my-zsh. This was a very
smooth process.

I'm going to have to agree with you here since your point makes absolute
sense. Since the installation is so straight forward, it does seem best
to give the user control with oh-my-zsh instead of using a PKGBUILD
which only seems to add an unnecessary step.

With that said, I can agree that oh-my-zsh does not make a good
candidate for a package. I do appreciate and thank you for your time and
input with this.

Cheers,

--
Tony