[aur-general] TU Application: Dave Reisner

Kaiting Chen kaitocracy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 02:32:07 CET 2010

> Greetings!
>
> Please consider this my application to become a Trusted User. My name is
> Dave Reisner, and I'm 27 years old, currently residing in the New York
> City area. Ionut Biru has graciously offered to sponsor this
> application. I'm a self-taught programmer, computer enthusiast, an
> occasional IT consultant, and I enjoy brutal sarcasm & dry wit. During
> the daytime, I star as a QA website tester, writing automated test
> scripts with the Selenium framework. At night, I prefer Bash & C, but I
> also dabble in Go, Java, Ruby, and Python.
>
> Although I've only been using Arch for a little over a year now, I've
> become very much appreciative and endeared to its simplistic style and
> offer of freedom in administration. I quickly settled into a CLI setup
> featuring DWM, mutt, ncmpcpp, tmux, etc and filled in any missing gaps
> with Bash and C programs of my own design. In particular, I wrote cower
> and burp, which interface with the AUR to do clean and fast downloading
> and uploading (respectively) from the AUR. Please feel free to visit my
> Github repositories [1].
>
> I also consider myself to have been an active contributor to the Arch
> community. I advocate the testing repo (which I use on all the boxes I
> maintain), I diligently file and follow up with bug reports, providing
> patches or other solutions whenever possible, and I've made a few
> (though somewhat minor) code contributions to pacman.
>
> Over the course of the past year, I've picked up a number of packages in
> the AUR [2]. While many of these aren't very popular, I would like to
> make an effort to bring Systemd into community to make it more
> accessible. I believe that while it does not necessarily fall directly
> in line with the "true spirit" of Arch, it's an excellent project and
> there are many people interested in its offerings within the Arch
> community. I've been following its development since a month after
> Lennart made his initial announcement, and I have been the major
> provider of Systemd packages on the AUR.
>
> In addition, I've spoken with Daniel Griffiths and I offered to relieve
> him of some of his packaging duties (given his hectic schedule), and we
> agreed on: asciidoc, html2text, and rsnapshot.  Eventually, as I become
> more comfortable with the role, I would like to take on more packages to
> help insure that our repos stay fresh and full of useful software. Since
> the recent cleanup.
>
> I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. Thanks for taking the
> time to consider my application.
>
> Dave.
>
> [1] http://github.com/falconindy
> [2] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=falconindy

Wow this is falconindy. I am a huge fan of burp and cower and your post on
systemd was quite educational (or linked to another page that was quite
educational; I don't remember which). I looked through your PKGBUILD's on
AUR and they look like they are in quite nice shape. Good luck! I think you
would make a great addition to the team. --Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/