[aur-general] Proposal: Mass AUR Cleanup

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Oct 3 14:57:38 EDT 2010

Brad Fanella wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 07:54:42PM +0200, Jakob Gruber wrote:
> >  Hi TUs,
> >
> > I've just created a new proposal concerning the orphaning of all packages
> > marked 'out of date' which have not been updated (or submitted) since before
> > January 1st, 2009. For details, see the actual proposal text.
> >
> > The voting period ends on October 10th, please cast your votes!
> >
> > schuay
>
> Yeah, as long as they haven't been updated for a while (as you said, January 1st, 2009), then I'm all for it!
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

I've cast a "yes" vote. I also move to name this "Operation Oliver Twist" and to
name the orphaning script "twister".

One problem that might arise though is if a stable package (i.e. one that
almost never gets updated upstream) has been recently flagged out-of-date then
it might get orphaned (a malicious user who is aware of the impending
operation might even write a script to flag such packages out-of-date). Perhaps
you could cross-reference the last activity of the maintainer when deciding
whether to delete a package, e.g. last package action <= 2009-01-01 and last
maintainer action <= xxxx-xx-xx.

That shouldn't add much complexity to the code but it might improve the
handling of a few fringe cases. I'm really just floating the idea though.

Regards,
Xyne