[aur-general] GUI

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Tue Oct 5 13:34:53 EDT 2010

Ng Oon-Ee wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 10:00 +0200, Heiko Baums wrote:
> > Build two packages or a split package as soon as AUR has support for
> > them:
> > package-cli
> > package-gtk
> >
> > See e.g. avidemux-cli, avidemux-gtk and avidemux-qt or cdrdao and
> > gcdmaster.
> >
> > Interactive PKGBUILDs or PKGBUILDs with "dynamic" dependencies are not
> > recommended.
> >
> > Heiko
>
> Best suggestion so far =)

I agree with the quoted comments. The PKGBUILD is not meant to be interactive
and modifying dependencies based on such  interaction would be a nasty kludge.
Two different packages (or a single split package once AUR finally supports it)
is the way to go.

Unless, of course, you plan to include an animated paperclip that asks
questions such as "I see that you have GTK installed. Would you like to enable
a graphical user interface?" and "I see that your master boot record contains
valid data. Would you like to overwrite it with data that will make your system
unbootable?".