[aur-general] Please orphan haskell-convertible-text

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 21:15:39 EDT 2010

On Thu 07 Oct 2010 20:40 +0200, Xyne wrote:
> Peter Simons wrote:
> > the package <http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34179> has been
> > out-of-date for a while, and the maintainers respond neither to e-mail
> > nor to messages left on AUR. Could you please orphan the package?

> I noticed your request to orphan haskell-numeric-prelude too. Have you
> contacted Arch Haskell (i.e. Don Stewart) about those packages?
>
> I'm reluctant to orphan packages from the Arch Haskell group because
> it's an "official" group tasked with managing Haskell packages
> globally across the repos and the AUR.

> At the same time, I know that Don is often too busy to deal with
> issues and that this causes problems for many users because they have
> to wait for him to get around to running global scripts, which he
> often postpones for months at a time. I fully understand how
> frustrating that must be.

But the AUR is unofficial. I suggest that if Arch Haskell's packages are
out of date for an unreasonable amount of time, that we should orphan
those packages like any others. Only then will Arch Haskell be forced to
do something about their lag - or lose maintainership over those
packages. I think it's a fair and reasonable solution.