[aur-general] pkgstats and unused [community] packages

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 25 16:44:05 EDT 2010

On 25 October 2010 18:35, Christopher Brannon <chris at the-brannons.com> wrote:
> I've been polling <https://archlinux.de/?page=PackageStatistics>
> regularly for several weeks, and I've noticed that roughly 50% of the
> packages in [community] are not installed by anyone.
> Can we get a list of these unused packages?  Would it be a good idea to
> start moving them to [unsupported]?

I say it would _not_ be a good idea. This is too fast.

Some packages that I remember to have had more than 5% usage in the
previous pkgstats implementation are nowhere to be seen.

Others are recent additions by merit of AUR votes, but are not
accounted for in pkgstats. For those, the situation is that you bring
them in because they have good votes, only to later move them back
because they don't have good usage statistics. That's fine if the
"later" is after, say, a year.