[aur-general] TU Application

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Wed Oct 27 18:08:38 EDT 2010

On 27.10.2010 06:33, Kaiting Chen wrote:
> I'm twenty one years old and a senior at Duke University studying Biomedical
> Engineering with a minor in Economics. I have also been a web developer and
> systems administrator for about four years now and am currently working on a
> rather long and protracted project for the university. I have been using
> Linux on a daily basis for about seven years now starting with Red Hat
> Linux, then Debian, Gentoo and finally Arch Linux for the last three years.
> And I use C, C++, x86 ASM, Java, Python, Ruby, PHP, and Javascript on a
> daily basis.
That is fairly impressive. Once I turn 21 I will barely be through
regular school and just about to start studying.
> I have Arch installed on four servers in total as well as on one virtual
> machine. I'm not ashamed to admit that I run a Windows 7 notebook as my only
> physical computer; though it's only role these days is to not bother me
> while I SSH into my Linux machines.
Let's not be ashamed. I'm using Windows 7 for delicious games but I *do*
wonder about the excuse why a netbook should have to run it. :P
> I currently maintain thirty packages in the AUR, most of which I do not use
> but would be unhappy in seeing them orphaned.
If you are a good maintainer and at least test but not usually use your
packages, that should be alright.
> I would like to become a Trusted User simply because I would like to
> maintain packages more effectively. Recently there's been a thread on
> aur-general about the possible removal of hundreds of packages from
> [community] which makes me very worried. Packages such as cacti, courier-*,
> ejabberd, freeradius*, ipsec-tools, monit, roundcubemail, scilab, and *ircd
> are very important to people who run Arch on the server such as myself. This
> list evinces a fundamental problem however that there is simply not enough
> manpower to maintain the current repositories. Because I am able (or
> hopefully will be deemed so by the powers that be/grant TU priveleges) I
> would like to help alleviate this condition. Arch allows me to focus on the
> work that I do; it should be obvious that helping to ensure that Arch
> functions smoothly and efficiently is a necessary task for anyone who has
> made this distribution a valuable part of their workflow.
Great idea, many packages required by servers get little love right now.
I've taken it upon myself to keep my mail stack maintained (courier-*).
I'd be glad if there were more people helping out here.
> In more concrete terms of how I want to contribute, I would like to start by
> adopting python-openbabel, freeimage, metakit, gen2shp, tdl, python-bsddb,
> and other orphaned packages in [community] once I have the chance to take a
> closer look at the orphan list. I'd also like to pull smalltalk, burp, bti,
> liboauth, and vim-align into [community]. I would also like to work on
> bringing some of the packages in [community] up to date such as rsyslog,
> pyinotify, openntpd, and ngspice.
Sounds like a plan.
> That's about all I can think of for now. Please feel free to ask any
> questions and thanks for taking the time to consider my application
Your application failed in terms of entertainment but otherwise was fine.

All in all, this is +2.

-- Sven-Hendrik