[aur-general] Delete request

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed Sep 1 08:57:40 EDT 2010

Am Wed, 1 Sep 2010 01:52:00 -0500
schrieb Nathan O <ndowens.aur at gmail.com>:

> I usually do include the names, though this time I didn't because I
> was making a list of packages that seemed to be the same.

It would also in this case be nice if you would give the package names.
It saves the package maintainers to check if one of their packages is
affected by such a removal request.

And if you're looking for duplicate packages in AUR, please, don't
search for partially similar package names only but read the full
PKGBUILDs and install files to see if the packages are really the same.
If unsure first ask the package maintainers.

It's not very nice if a package which is not owned by you gets deleted
just because you think that it's the same package as another one just
because a part of the package names is identical.

I guess that this is usually proofed by a TU before such a package gets
deleted, but also a TU can make mistakes and miss something.

Example: Your removal request for alevt resp. alevt-dvb which, of
course, provide the same software but for different TV cards. While
alevt is only working with analog TV cards, alevt-dvb is a patched
version which is working with DVB cards. I'm not sure if but I doubt
that alevt-dvb works with analog TV cards. You would have seen this if
you had read the PKGBUILD or only the package descriptions. There are
several similar cases in AUR.

Heiko