[aur-general] TU e-mail forwards (was: Re: Welcome our newest TU, Lukas Jirkovsky (stativ)!)

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Sun Sep 5 14:23:39 EDT 2010

On 09/03/10 12:12, Florian Pritz wrote:
> On 03.09.2010 17:21, Ray Rashif wrote:
>> I'm also in favour of standardising the mangling used there; personal
>> preference, right, but currently it looks like a mess.
>
> Don't obfuscate the addresses at all.
>
> If your mail provider isn't able to reject spam you should really
> consider switching. Obviously google does a really bad job there or is
> there some other reason most gmail addresses are obfuscated?

No spam filter can junk 100% of the spam and not-junk 100% of the
non-spam, this world doesn't work quite perfectly that way, although
filters can be pretty good currently.

My strategy: create a special e-mail address for use un-obfuscated on
Internet technical sites (mailinglist, bugtracker, source-code commit,
whatever), knowing that it will be spammed; and use a different e-mail
address to give to people I know, knowing that - while it *might* get
into the hands of spammers through viruses and the like - it won't be as
spammy as an address that's published on the internet (so that the
probability improves that neither the spam-filter nor my eyes will
consider a message from someone I know from corporeal life to be spam.)

-Isaac