[aur-general] multilib

Nathan O ndowens.aur at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 04:10:12 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 1:51 AM, Nathan O <ndowens.aur at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Nathan O <ndowens.aur at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I installed the x86_64 version of Arch, and I was looking at the wiki on
>> > running 32-bit apps in a 64-bit environment which seems what the
>> multilib
>> > project/repo does. Though If I try and do pacman -S gcc-multilib
>> > gcc-libs-multilib binutils-multilib libtool-multilib lib32-glibc. Pacman
>> > gives me that binutils and binutils-multilib conflict. Do I let
>> multilib's
>> > version replace it? Mainly I want to build i686/x86_64 packages and make
>> > sure they work fine on both architectures as well, maybe with running a
>> few
>> > 32-bit only applications if I come across them.
>>
>> If you want to build i686 packages, multilib is not the solution,
>> because it aims at creating 32-bit binaries which work correctly on a
>> 64-bit system (that is, using different library paths to avoid
>> confusion and so on). multilib is suited to create packages containing
>> 32-bit binaries for the x86_64 packages (like the lib32-* packages).
>> Yes, you need the gcc-multilib packages and friends to make it work.
>>
>> If you want to know whether your packages will work on i686, I think
>> you'd better set up a chroot.
>>
>> --
>> Rémy.
>>
> Thanks for the suggestion, my main thing is to test a package using i686
> and maybe occasional running apps that only run in 32bit mode.

I tried the Arch32-light package Xyne made, but I may have done something
wrong, so I uninstalled it. Then I found out that, don't know how, my root
password wasn't correct, had to readd gnome-session to > .xinitrc and
resetup pidgin(including pidgin plugin tha twas installed) and Thunderbird.
It is like I just installed all those apps and had to set them up it is
really weird.

I am afraid of tempting that again :) So I thought maybe use mkarchroot -r
/aur/root and setup the pacman.conf to use i686 and such. What do you think,
will this method work good?