[aur-general] what is the best way to resolve conflicting files in aur packages?

Alex Combas alex.combas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 16:00:22 EDT 2010

What is the best way to resolve conflicting files in aur packages?

I've run into this issue a couple times recently, first of all with
"panda3d-cvs" and "cuda-toolkit" both contained the file /usr/bin/bin2c

The result was the panda3d-cvs maintainer just removed the file since he
said it wasn't doing anything anyway.

Now I've run into a similar problem but this time the maintainer fixed it a
different way and it broke my package.

opencl-headers http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35367 has 3 files
which are also provided by nvidia-utils

So now to fix it the maintainer of opencl-headers has added
conflicts=(nvidia-utils) to his package.

But my problem is that I recently made  a package (luxrays-hg) which
depends=('nvidia-utils') and also makedepends=('opencl-headers')

So my package (luxrays-hg) will no longer install because 2 of
its decencies (opencl-headers & nvidia-utils) are in conflict.

So what is the best practice in this situation?

--
Best regards,
Alex Combas