[aur-general] what is the best way to resolve conflicting files in aur packages?

Lukáš Jirkovský l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 03:53:04 EDT 2010

On 8 September 2010 22:00, Alex Combas <alex.combas at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the best way to resolve conflicting files in aur packages?
>
> I've run into this issue a couple times recently, first of all with
> "panda3d-cvs" and "cuda-toolkit" both contained the file /usr/bin/bin2c
>
> The result was the panda3d-cvs maintainer just removed the file since he
> said it wasn't doing anything anyway.
>
> Now I've run into a similar problem but this time the maintainer fixed it a
> different way and it broke my package.
>
> opencl-headers http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35367 has 3 files
> which are also provided by nvidia-utils
>
> So now to fix it the maintainer of opencl-headers has added
> conflicts=(nvidia-utils) to his package.
>
> But my problem is that I recently made  a package (luxrays-hg) which
> depends=('nvidia-utils') and also makedepends=('opencl-headers')
>
> So my package (luxrays-hg) will no longer install because 2 of
> its decencies (opencl-headers & nvidia-utils) are in conflict.
>
> So what is the best practice in this situation?
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Alex Combas
> goplexian.com

Hello Alex,
as Jonathan said the best thing would be to wait for a new driver
release with openCL headers removed.

By the way I tried to use the headers supplied with nvidia-utils but
compilation fails with them. I was able to build luxrays-hg with
forcing opencl-headers to install (headers from nvidia-utils are
overwritten then). Maybe you can post a note to the package comments
that the users should force the installation of opencl-headers until
there is a new nvidia-utils in the repo.